Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mardi Gras


It's no secret that I love and adore New Orleans.  Everything about the city is special:  the food, the music, the traditions, the people and the parties.
I was very honored to be invited to ride with the Krewe of Orpheus for this year's Mardi Gras.  Not only do they have an incredibly impressive lineup of floats, entertainment and energy, but this year none other than Sean Payton was the king!   Yes, I got to touch the Lombardi Trophy... barely.
It's impossible to explain what happens during Mardi Gras without being there.  All I can say is that you haven't lived until you've experienced a few days of this kind of party.  And for the people that think it's all boobs and beads, you're dead wrong.  Of course Bourbon Street has it's fair share of strip clubs and open bars, but the celebration is so much more than that.  There are families lined down St. Charles - cooking food, celebrating life and having more fun than most people do anywhere at any time.
A big thank you shout out to Joyce Godbold who helped arrange everything.  I'm very much looking forward to this year's New Orleans Wine and Food Experience, of which she is director.  I also can't thank the Monteleone Hotel enough for the hospitality and by far my favorite rooms in the big easy.  Then of course there are the people who make is so fun to visit:  Preston for just being you, Susan Spicer for another perfect meal, Donald Link for fattening me up with the best andouille and boudin anywhere, John Besh for continuing to raise the bar, Molly for being an amazingly good sport, Cafe du Monde for the beignets, and Preservation Hall for the jazz music...
my best shot of drew brees

says it all

madness

the krewe

loading the float

dressed to impress?

just good fun

my new friends

canal street

can't explain even when you're there

disco robot

happy people

in the spirit

cures anything

jazz at it's finest


No comments:

Post a Comment