Saturday, November 28, 2009

NYC - Day 1



I flew to NYC this week to appear on the Martha Stewart Show.  The show was on Wednesday the 18th, but I arrived on Monday with the goal of eating and drinking my way through as much of the city as possible.  


I landed mid-afternoon and checked into my hotel.  A short walk from the front door and some questionable halal chicken serves as my first of many street treats.  I got a hold of some friends and made my way to Freeman's for some more bites and some fantastic cocktails.  A few bar snacks and some amazing mezcal cocktails later and it's time to move.  


Next stop:  DBGB by Daniel Boulud.  My long time friend (and former roommate) Jeff is the manager at this new sausage-friendly downtown spot.  He invited us to sit down in their amazingly crowded space and sample some of the kitchen's specialties.  To my surprise, my buddy Mike (who used to work for me at Jax) is the sous chef of this 9 month old space.  The room is beautiful and simple.  A very open space, it showcases tall dark wood shelves packed with copper pots from the best chefs of the world.  The walls and mirrors behind the bar are covered with quotations of all kinds.  
The menu is also straightforward and simple:  14 types of house-made sausages, a few burgers, sides and some assorted entrees.  The beer list and wine list are astounding and offer some perfect libations to wash down the food. 
We sampled an array of sausages - we may have had all of them...I kind of went into a pork coma halfway through.  A few belgian beers washed it all down as we people-watched some of NYC's hippest diners.


After stuffing ourselves, we went to Inoteca for some late night drinks and a few more bites.  Truffle egg toasts is Jeff's late night guilty pleasure and he was nice enough to offer up a bite.  Yum!  Time for bed...and another big day of eating!

1 comment: